HISTORICAL LANDMARKS AND CULTURAL MONUMENTS ON THE TERRITORY OF SLIVEN MUNICIPALITY
There are 475 registered cultural monuments on the territory of Sliven Municipality. 84 are archeological, 90 are historical and over 300 - architectural. There are twenty monuments of national memorial importance. Nine of them are in the town of Sliven.
Some of the most visited places are: Sliven 19th century way of life museum–house, "Mirkovich" house, "Hadji Dimitar" museum–house, "Dobri Chintulov" museum-house, "Dimitar Dobrovich" house, the national textile industry museum, "St. Sophia" and "St. Dimitar" churches, the early Byzantine and medieval stronghold "Tuida", etc.
Sliven 19th century way of life museum–house
It was built in 1813. It’s situated in one of the oldest neighbourhoods in Sliven and is one of the most valuable cultural monuments of the town. It was even declared for a cultural monument of national importance. It’s decorated with wood – carving on the verandas, colonies, ceilings, and cupboards.
"Hadji Dimitar" museum–house
It’s a cultural monument of national importance. It was built at the end of 18th or at the beginning of the 19th century. It’s the native home of the legendary Hadji Dimitar Voivoda of Sliven.
It’s also a cultural monument of national importance. At the museum–house there is a constant exposition of the distinguished Sliven artist Dobri Dobrev.
"Dimitar Dobrovich" house
It’s one of the most beautiful buildings it the centre of the town. It’s a cultural monument. The house has had a constant exposition of the unique "West–European graphics" collection since 25 October 2004. It’s a donation made by the writer Bogomil Raynov.
National textile industry museum
It was built in 1984. That’s the first specialized Bulgarian industry museum. It has its own building, it’s a cultural monument and its exposition shows the basic stages of the textile industry development. All the museum exhibits are functional.
"St. Dimitar" cathedral temple
The central temple in Sliven was built in 1832. It represents a three – ship pseudo – basilica. It has impressive sizes – 29 m long and 15 m wide. It’s a metre dug underground. The structure and decoration of the ceilings and colonies of the church are a masterpiece of Bratsigovo building school craftsmen. The iconostasis, as part of the interior, has the biggest art influence. It’s a high – relief carving that has basically floral elements.
All Slavonic metropolitans were buried in the courtyard on the east side of the church.
"St. Sophia" temple
It’s situated in one of the oldest neighborhoods in Sliven, called "Novo selo" and is a cultural monument of national importance. The church has gone through two discernible building periods until it has reached its present architectural form. It was built in 1836 upon the ruins of an older church with the help of patriotic people from Sliven who lived in Russia, Besarabia and Romania.
The interior of the church has an interesting decoration. There are revival art decoration elements, specially selected for the interior.
The old elm – tree
Its name is a field elm tree. It’s a natural over 1000 – year phenomenon. It’s a relic from the Great Bulgarian forest (Magna silva Bulgarica) that spread from the Rodopi Mountain to the Black sea. There are about 20 elm trees like this one left in Samuilovo village, situated 7 km far from Sliven. All of them are declared for protected trees and people take care of their protection.
The old elm tree is connected to the history of Sliven, especially to the history of the Turkish yoke period.
Hadji Dimitar monument
It’s one of the symbols of Sliven. It was built in the period 1931–1935. The opening ceremony was on 8 November and it lasted for three days. The authors of the monument are the sculpture Stefan Peichev and the architect Yordan Yordanov.
The monument has a complex architecture–plastic structure. The figure of the legendary Hadji Dimitar voivoda of Sliven (3.60 m) was built on a high pedestal (12 m) and it emerges clearly on the background of The Blue Stones mountainous national park. The busts of the sliven participants in the Bulgarian national revival Panayot Hitov, Dobri Chintulov, d-r Ivan Seliminski, d-r George Mirkovich, Sava Dobroplodni, George Ikonomov, Ivan Dobrovski are put at the footing of the monument.
The monument was thoroughly restored in 1993-1994.
"Orleto" seventh horse regiment monument
All people in Sliven know the monument this way. It was made of concrete on an open field and it has become an irreversibly significant for our town throughout the years. It was built as a mark of respect to the heroism and in memory of the dead officers, non-commissioned officers and cavalry of one of the most famous Bulgarian regiments – the seventh Sliven horse regiment. The sculptor Nikola Dimitrov and Panayot Ciporanov from Sliven are the authors of the monument. It was consecrated on 28 November 1928 by Ilarion - a metropolitan of Sliven.
The monument was thoroughly restored and re – exposed on 6 May 1996.